Monday, February 27, 2012

Where did you learn that?!?!?

Over the past few months 2 1/2 years, Riley has been a learning machine!! This makes both the Mommy and teacher me very happy and excited that I have a child who just loves to learn. Since I found out  he was a boy, I have been making sure he learns a lot of things before he goes to kindergarten (studies say that boys take longer to learn new things because they "don't act their age"). So together, Matt and I taught Riley his colors (by the age of 1) with M & M's (he wasn't allowed to eat the M& M until he told us the right color ), Then onto shapes (by the age of 1 1/2) with the help of Mickey Mouse Club house. Then 3D shapes but the age of 3, and now we have 15/26 letters known (with the use of a scrapbook of family members pictures. 

I also give credit to the teachers Riley has had. Riley has been in school since he turned one and comes home with new learned knowledge everyday.  When he was 13 months old he kept doing theses weird things with his hands. Matt and I didn't know what he was doing, so we talked to his teacher about what he was doing to see if he was doing it at school......he was......the teacher told us he's using sign language to get what he wants :-). Un announced to us they were teaching him and his classmates sign language and Riley had picked it up!! So what did Matt and I do???? Go to the nearest book store and get a sign language book so we could learn with Riley how to use American Sign language!!!!

There is a saying in education that I absolutely love, "You believe half of what you hear about my classroom and I will believe half of what I hear about your home"......SOOOOOO True!!! Sometimes Riley comes home and says, "You need to just give me a minute" (nothing against his teacher but you need to know that he has no idea what a minute is and you better be ready for him to ask you again). Or, "You need to be a good friend", "Let's use our patience", "let's be nice to our friends", "You're a big boy/girl". I have really enjoyed 3/4 of Riley's teachers (unfortunately one called him a baby and he believed her and so he thought he needed to stay in diapers because he knows that babies must wear diapers....trust me...Im a non violent person......but this lady obviously had no clue how to be a "GOOD" teacher and would have gotten an ear full and my foot in her mouth).

Another thing that is very.....endearing and not yet annoying about Riley and his eagerness to learn is all his questioning..........I have learned that if he asks a question I need to find the answer even if Matt or I don't know the answer......the latest question Riley asked was,  "How is snow born?"

So the next time your child asks you a question or they say something and you don't quite hear them....ask them to say it again. You may find that they just solved world piece in a sentence :-)

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Riley reminds me so much of Sam...eager to learn and a quick study!! :-)

    ReplyDelete